Saturday, August 1, 2009

Breastfeeding - It Rocks!




August 1st-7th is World Breastfeeding Week (http://worldbreastfeedingweek.org/) and I thought that I would add my two cents in and say that breastfeeding is such a wonderful thing! There has been tons of controversy over whether or not it is "obscene" to breastfeed in public or to show pictures of it in your Facebook profile...the list could go on and on. There is a protest on facebook right now to let them know how people feel about it and that it isn't obscene. The Mothers International Lactation Campaign has a post in FB to explain more about what it is about.

They are incouraging people...whether they be nursing mom's or not... to post a photogragh, drawing, sculpture, or even a pic of animals nursing on their profile and change their status to 'Hey FB, breastfeeding is not obscene'. They have some pics on the link that depict nursing moms and they are so sweet. I wasn't able to nurse as long as some of these mom's but sometimes I wish I could have. Mother's milk is so good for babies. I don't know why people don't realize that. I know there are certain sircumstances where women can't do it for medical reasons. I know women that have just simply chosen not to do it (and they aren't bad moms!). It is a personal choice and each of us has that right to choose. But I do think that nursing mom's need support, especially if it is your first. And those that choose not to. Some women feel guilty for choosing not to nurse their babies. I am not one to judge them. I have fed all of my babies formula at one time or another. Nursing is and can be a wonderful experience. It takes practice and lots of PATIENCE sometimes. You just have to stick with it. It is challenging and also rewarding to know that I am supplying my baby's food. I know exactly what it is in it. No fillers, no synthetic stuff. Just pure mom's milk (with a hint of chocolate in it!).

Nuff said...and speaking of breastfeeding...my little one is calling my name ;)

This is just an interesting picture that I found and loved. (Maybe it comes from the Massage Therapist point of view) I just thought that it was kind of cool. I love how you can still see the baby looking up at the mother and you can see the mother smiling. AWESOME! (tears coming to my eyes)

No comments: